Tips for Flying With an Infant
Here are a few tips and tricks for a smooth ride for you and your baby.
It’s all about timing
- Schedule naptime during your flight time.
- Whether it’s late in the day or first thing in the morning, you know your child best so it’s best to make travel arrangements accordingly.
- Book a flight during non-peak travel times (for example, late mornings or Saturdays). If there are extra seats available, you may be able to bring your infant's car seat onboard.
Treats and snacks
- Formula, breast milk, juice and baby food (in small containers) are permitted in your carry-on baggage.
- On-board refrigeration is not available. We recommend bringing these items in a small cooler to keep them at the desired temperature.
- Infants' and children's meals are not offered as part of Porter inflight service. A complimentary snack and beverage service is provided on all Porter flights; however, milk is not included in our inflight service.
- Takeoff and landing can be uncomfortable for your infant’s ears. Help your baby to equalize the air pressure by giving him/her their pacifier or a bottle.
- We understand little hands can make big messes, so bringing an adequate amount of wipes is highly recommended.
- More than one change of clothes (for you too, if you’ve got the room) is a good idea to keep everyone clean and comfortable. Bringing extra diapers is also recommended.
- Our short-haul aircraft are not equipped with diaper-changing tables; however diaper-changing stations are available in airport restrooms, near the departure and arrival gates.
In short, here’s a quick checklist of the things you should pack in your carry-on:
- Baby wipes
- Pacifiers (a.k.a shoo shoo’s, bubbas, binky’s, shush-er, or whatever cute name you’ve cleverly come up with)
- Extra toys
- Change of clothes – for you and baby
Please note, the following are permitted onboard the aircraft when traveling with your infant:
- A game or two of peek-a-boo
- Cheek pinching
If you would like to check whether some of the other items you were planning to bring on your trip are permitted or not, please refer to our Restricted and Prohibited Items section.
Press tab on the keyboard to jump to the first error.