VIPorter Terms and Conditions
Effective Date: September 15, 2015
Thank you for joining VIPorter. VIPorter is a rewards program offered by Porter Airlines Inc. (“Porter”) to Porter guests who are members of VIPorter (referred to in these rules as “VIPorter member(s)”, “member(s)” or “you”). The following terms and conditions (the "Program Rules") apply to VIPorter.
These Program Rules contain important information about your rights, responsibilities and benefits as a VIPorter member, so please be sure to read this document carefully. By gaining access to or using this site, or by enrolling in VIPorter or continuing your VIPorter membership, you agree to be bound by the Program Rules, as they may be amended by Porter from time to time.
- Membership in VIPorter is limited to natural persons (individuals) and no corporation, trust, partnership, household, animal or other entity may hold membership in VIPorter.
- Individuals must enroll for membership in VIPorter individually, only once, and use their name exactly as it appears on their government-issued identification. Enrolment can be completed at www.flyporter.com.
- Individuals must have a valid email address to enroll. All communications from Porter to members relating to the VIPorter program will be made via email. Members are unable to unsubscribe to program-related email notifications, but may unsubscribe from promotional email via the unsubscribe link at the bottom of such emails. Members are responsible to maintain a valid and current email address in their VIPorter account to ensure receipt of notifications about their account. Parents may enroll their minor children using an email address that is owned and maintained by the parent.
- Agents who enroll an individual or who are otherwise completing any transactions involving or relating to another individual’s VIPorter account represent and warrant that they have the individual’s authorization to act as his or her agent.
- Upon the completion of enrolment in VIPorter, members will be issued a membership number. It is the member’s responsibility to record and retain their membership number and VIPorter account login information.
- Upon achieving Passport, Priority or other premium membership tier (see "Membership Tiers" below), members will have the ability to download an electronic membership card to their Apple Wallet.
- VIPorter members must advise Porter immediately of any change of address or email address by updating their profile online at www.flyporter.com.
- VIPorter membership is granted in Porter's sole discretion, and may be withdrawn in Porter's sole discretion with or without notification.
- If, in Porter's sole opinion, a member abuses any VIPorter privileges, fails to follow any of the Program Rules or makes any misrepresentation to Porter, Porter may, in its sole discretion, revoke any or all of the VIPorter Points in the member’s account and/or revoke the member’s membership in VIPorter, with or without notification.
- Porter will not be liable or responsible in any manner for any tax consequences which may flow from participation in VIPorter. Each VIPorter member will be solely responsible for the reporting of any income tax benefits and the payment of any taxes.
2. Earning VIPorter Points
- VIPorter Points can be earned through qualifying travel on Porter flights. Qualifying travel consists of travel by a VIPorter member on any completed scheduled flight operated by Porter for which the fare, including related fees and costs, has been paid in full (whether by cash, credit card or acceptable cash equivalent such as a Porter voucher) and to which the VIPorter member’s valid VIPorter number has been added at the time of booking and where the VIPorter member has been allocated his or her own seat (a “Qualifying Travel”). For further clarity, where a VIPorter member pays for travel booked in whole via redemption of VIPorter Points, such travel shall not be Qualifying Travel. However, the Dollars value of the base fare of a Dollar and Points redemption shall be Qualifying Travel, the Points portion is not Qualifying Travel. In the event of any ambiguity, uncertainty or dispute as to whether any particular itinerary or part thereof is Qualifying Travel, Porter shall have the right in its sole discretion to determine whether such travel is Qualifying Travel.
- When a VIPorter member purchases Qualifying Travel, VIPorter Points will be awarded upon completion of such travel for every dollar spent by the VIPorter member on Porter services (“Eligible Dollars”), which
- includes cash amounts paid for the base fare (net of any discounts), and for ancillary Porter services such as seat selection fees, change fees, and checked baggage fees, pet fees and unaccompanied minor fees but
- does not include taxes, NAV surcharges (includes Navigation, Insurance, Fuel), airport fees, administrative fees, or any other third party charges collected by Porter.
For each Eligible Dollar spent, VIPorter Points will be awarded in an amount based on the VIPorter member’s Membership Tier at the time of booking (see “Membership Tiers” below), as follows:
Points Awarded per Eligible Dollar (“$1”)
||Points Awarded per Eligible Dollar (“$1”)
|VIPorter||5 VIPorter Points per $1|
|Passport||6 VIPorter Points per $1|
|Priority||7 VIPorter Points per $1|
An Eligible Dollar is equivalent to one dollar of Canadian or United States currency, depending in each case on the currency in which the purchased fare was filed by Porter. In the event of any ambiguity, uncertainty or dispute as to whether amounts paid by a VIPorter member are eligible for an award of VIPorter points, Porter shall have the right in its sole discretion to determine the eligibility of any amounts paid for an award of VIPorter points.
- For private net fares (defined as non-public, consolidator or wholesaler fares), with the exception of private net fares associated with Porter-authorized corporate contracts, sold through travel agencies and other third parties, Porter will use a flat base airfare value of $100, regardless of the actual amount paid. Members will earn one dollar of credit towards their VIPorter Premium status (“Qualifying Spend)” and the number of Points awarded will vary, based on the member’s Membership Tier, as defined in 2 (ii) above and the dollar value assigned to such purchases by Porter.
- Porter sells unpublished fares directly to consumers and through a variety of channels, including travel agencies and Porter Escapes. The number of VIPorter Points earned for unpublished fares sold by Porter upon the completion of such travel will be as follows:
- Porter Pass – a flat base airfare value will be used based on the region traveled to/from and the type of fare purchased. Members will earn one dollar of credit towards their VIPorter Premium status (“Qualifying Spend)” and the number of Points awarded will vary, based on the member’s Membership Tier, as defined in 2 (ii) above and the following assigned dollar values:
Toronto to/from Montreal & Ottawa
Within Canada (excluding Toronto to/from Montreal & Ottawa)
Canada to/from US
- Porter Escapes - a flat base airfare value of $150 to $400, determined at Porter’s discretion, will be used based on the type of package purchased. Members will earn one dollar of credit towards their VIPorter Premium status (“Qualifying Spend)” and the number of Points awarded will vary, based on the member’s Membership Tier, as defined in 2 (ii) above and the dollar value assigned to such purchases by Porter. Members do not earn VIPorter Points on any non-air package components but do earn VIPorter Points on the pre-tax value of ancillary Porter services such as seat selection fees, change fees, cancellation fees and checked baggage fees, pet fees and unaccompanied minor fees.
- Group fares – members will earn VIPorter points based on the actual value of the base fare.
- Interline bookings – when purchasing an interline booking that combines a Porter-operated flight(s) with a partner airline-operated flight(s) in one itinerary, members will earn VIPorter points based on the value of the base fare for the entire itinerary only if the ticket is purchased directly from Porter, either through flyporter.com or the Porter Call Centre. If the itinerary is purchased from a third party, including the partner airline or a travel agent, members will earn VIPorter points based only on the value of the Porter-operated flights (as determined by Porter) and not the full itinerary value.
- Once a VIPorter member earns VIPorter Points, those VIPorter Points are posted to the member’s account within two (2) business days of the Qualifying Travel, providing the member’s valid VIPorter number was added prior to travel. Once awarded, VIPorter Points are available to be redeemed indefinitely provided the VIPorter member travels on a flight operated by Porter at least once every 24 months after the date of his or her last Qualifying Travel. For further clarity, if a VIPorter member does not complete Qualifying Travel for a period of 24 consecutive months, all of that member’s VIPorter Points expire and cannot be redeemed. No reinstatement of VIPorter Points will be available once expired.
- VIPorter members cannot receive points for another person’s travel.
- VIPorter Points are not transferrable from one VIPorter member account to another.
- VIPorter members may also earn VIPorter Points through offers, promotions or incentives that may be offered by Porter from time to time. Porter reserves the right to make offers on specific dates, times or routes and to modify such offers, at its sole discretion.
- Porter may change the basis on which VIPorter Points are awarded (including as to eligibility of flights and the amounts awarded for various fare classes, membership tiers, or other categories of travel or membership) at any time, with or without notice, in Porter's sole discretion.
- VIPorter Points have no monetary value, and are not exchangeable for cash, and cannot under any circumstances form the basis of a monetary claim against Porter. VIPorter Points are not available for purchase.
3. Membership Tiers
- For every Eligible Dollar a member spends, they receive one dollar of credit towards their VIPorter Premium status upon completion of the travel relating to such purchase (“Qualifying Spend”). Premium tiers include the Passport and Priority tiers.
- As a member’s Qualifying Spend passes pre-defined thresholds (see below), their membership tier increases. Current membership tiers include VIPorter, Passport and Priority. At each higher tier the member earns VIPorter Points at a higher rate and enjoys other Premium member benefits. Porter may create or maintain additional tiers, with additional benefits for qualifying members of such tiers.
- Each member’s Qualifying Spend is calculated on a calendar year basis (January 1 to December 31 of each year). On January 1 of each year, the member’s year-to-date (YTD) Qualifying Spend resets to $0 and the member begins earning status for the new year.
- The highest tier a member has reached at the end of a year (i.e. as of December 31) is valid until and including December 31 of the following year.
- When a member’s Qualifying Spend reaches a status level qualifying them for a higher tier of membership during a calendar year, the member will be immediately raised into the applicable tier (upon completion of the relevant travel) and will enjoy that tier's benefits on all bookings made from that day forward through December 31 of the following year. Bookings made prior to the member achieving a higher level of status will not receive the member’s increased tier status benefits. A member can move up multiple levels during any calendar year, but members will only be downgraded to a lower tier at the end of a calendar year if their Qualifying Spend fails to meet the spend goal for the member’s current tier by December 31.
- Tier Spend Qualification Levels
A pre-defined calendar-year spend threshold determines a member’s tier level (as described above) and points-earning ratio (i.e. the number of points earned for each Eligible Dollar spent), as follows:
|Annual Spend Threshold
||Up to $1,499.99
||5 points / $1
|Annual Spend Threshold
||$1,500.00 - $2,999.99
||6 points / $1
|Annual Spend Threshold
||$3,000.00 or more
||7 points / $1
- In certain cases, Porter may, in its sole discretion, move any member up to a higher membership tier irrespective of whether the member has reached the designated Qualifying Spend threshold.
- VIPorter Points may be redeemed toward the purchase of Standard, Flexible and Freedom fares on Porter Airlines, subject to seat availability. VIPorter Points cannot be redeemed towards the purchase of Basic fares. VIPorter Points may be applied to pay for either (a) 100% of your base fare, or (b) a portion of your base fare (as specified by Porter on the redemption page or by its Call Centre agents), in which case the balance of the fare must be paid by credit card. VIPorter Points may only be applied toward base fare, and not toward any other fees, taxes or charges, which the VIPorter Member must pay. The number of VIPorter Points required to pay for all or a portion of the base fare depends on the fare. To see how many VIPorter Points are required for a particular flight, VIPorter Members must log in to their accounts on www.flyporter.com or call Porter’s Call Centre and search for the desired flight. The number of points required to obtain any particular fare is subject to change at any time prior to the completion of booking.
- VIPorter members may use their VIPorter Points to purchase a booking for another individual so long as the member makes the booking on behalf of the other individual.
- VIPorter members may only redeem VIPorter Points accumulated in their account at the time of booking.
- Eligible published fares exclude: interline fares (including any portion of interline itineraries operated by Porter); reward program (other than VIPorter) redemption; tour operator fares; charters; other carrier marketed or operated flights; Porter Escapes group bookings.
- VIPorter Points must be redeemed through: www.flyporter.com (Remember to sign in to your account before booking a flight) or Porter’s Call Centre at 1-888-619-8622.
- Changes to bookings towards which VIPorter Points were applied are permitted, subject to (a) change fees applicable to VIPorter bookings of Standard and Flexible fare classes in the amounts set out in Porter’s General Conditions of Carriage (see https://www.flyporter.com/travel-terms-and-conditions), and (b) payment of any difference in fare if the fare changed to is higher than that originally booked. Any applicable change fees and/or any additional amount owing (including base fare) may not be paid using VIPorter Points. VIPorter bookings of Freedom class fares may be changed with no fee (though the difference in the amount of the new fare, if higher than that originally booked, must be paid by the member).
- Cancellations to bookings toward which VIPorter Points were applied are permitted, subject to cancellation fees applicable to VIPorter bookings of Standard and Flexible fare classes as described in the amounts Porter’s General Conditions of Carriage (see https://www.flyporter.com/travel-terms-and-conditions). The VIPorter Points redeemed towards Standard or Flexible class bookings may be reinstated to your account, subject to payment of a points redeposit fee in the amount stated in the General Conditions of Carriage. VIPorter bookings of Freedom class fares may be cancelled with no fee.
5. General VIPorter Account Terms
- All awards of VIPorter Points will be credited to the VIPorter account of the member who is the individual traveller and whose name and VIPorter number appear on the ticket/boarding pass for the Qualifying Travel.
- Combining VIPorter Points between two or more different VIPorter Members is not allowed. Each VIPorter member’s account will only be credited with VIPorter Points associated with that individual’s travel.
- VIPorter Points are credited to the VIPorter member and not to the person or company who paid for the transaction giving rise to the Qualifying Travel.
- VIPorter Points may be accumulated by any member travelling on Qualifying Travel as defined above provided they continue to comply with the Program Rules. Points accumulated by a minor will be deposited in the minor's VIPorter account. The minor's account and VIPorter Points may be administered by the minor's parent or legal guardian. Reward notifications will be sent to the email address on record for the VIPorter account (not necessarily the email address of the parent who purchased the ticket for the minor). In the case of a divorce, a parent or guardian who wishes to challenge the email address on record will be required to provide Porter with a court order indicating which parent or guardian has the legal right to establish the address of the minor.
- VIPorter members must provide their VIPorter member number before departure of their flight. This can be done on-line by logging into your VIPorter account or for bookings made via the Porter Call Centre, by advising the Porter agent of your VIPorter number at the time of booking. Porter will consider requests to retroactively apply a member’s membership number, at Porter’s discretion and on a case-by-case basis, for up to six (6) months from the date that the flight is completed, provided that the member making the request was enrolled in VIPorter at the time the flight was completed. Newly enrolled members may retroactively request their membership number be applied to bookings made within the thirty (30) day period prior to enrollment in the program. Members making any such requests are responsible for providing all documentation evidencing the transaction within such timeframe. Porter may grant or decline any such requests in its sole discretion, and Porter's decision is final and binding upon the VIPorter Member. Such requests may be made online by logging into your VIPorter account and entering the reservation number to request that points be applied retroactively to the indicated booking.
- Members may check their account details, including earning history, redemption history and points balances, by logging into their VIPorter accounts on www.flyporter.com.
- At Porter's discretion, if a VIPorter account has had no activity within the preceding 48-month period, Porter may deactivate such account. In addition, Porter will deactivate any account that has had or appears to have had fraudulent activity, as determined by Porter.
- As indicated above, VIPorter Points are available to be redeemed indefinitely provided the VIPorter member travels on a flight operated by Porter at least once every 24 months after the date of his or her last Qualifying Travel, and all of a member’s VIPorter Points will expire if the VIPorter member does not complete Qualifying Travel for a period of 24 consecutive months. Points are ‘earned’ on the date of Qualifying Travel.
- Proper legal documentation will be required for any name change on a member’s account.
- Each year, VIPorter members may receive an email asking them to validate their account. Members must take the steps outlined in the notice to ensure that their account is validated and that they continue to receive correspondence from Porter regarding their VIPorter account. If there is any discrepancy between account statements, the Porter reservation system or any other source, VIPorter records are final, conclusive and binding on the VIPorter member. VIPorter Points are personal and cannot be assigned, traded, willed or otherwise transferred except in accordance with the Program Rules. Any assignment or transfer in violation of the Program Rules will be void and may, at the discretion of Porter result in the loss of membership in VIPorter or the cancellation of any VIPorter points or rewards. Members may use their VIPorter Points toward the purchase of a booking for another individual so long as the VIPorter member makes the booking on behalf of the other individual.
- Upon receiving notice or becoming aware of the death of a VIPorter member who has accumulated VIPorter Points, Porter will terminate the membership, the account will be closed and the VIPorter Points in the VIPorter member's account will be available for redemption or transfer by the VIPorter member's estate. A copy of the death certificate and proof of executor or administrator, satisfactory to Porter, may be required. The executor or administrator must advise Porter of who the beneficiary of the VIPorter Points will be and provide the beneficiary's VIPorter account number (or a new VIPorter account will be opened for the beneficiary if the beneficiary does not already hold a VIPorter account). Porter will not be liable or responsible in any manner for any tax consequences which may flow from the inheritance of VIPorter Points. VIPorter Points that have not been claimed as of ninety (90) days after the deceased VIPorter member's account is closed will automatically be cancelled and may not subsequently be redeemed, consolidated, converted, exchanged, combined or transferred. VIPorter Points will not be exchanged for cash.
- VIPorter Points are not divisible in case of separation or divorce.
- Account information will only be given to the account holder, the parent or guardian of record in the case of a minor, or a person designated by a VIPorter member in writing or pursuant to a court order or request from a government agency holding legislative power to compel such disclosure.
7. Program Changes and Termination
- Porter specifically reserves the right to amend, alter, withdraw or terminate the VIPorter program (in whole or in part), any program, benefit, award, reward, award/reward level, premium or privilege or these Program Rules either at any time either with or without notice to you. Any such changes may affect VIPorter Points which a VIPorter member has already accumulated as well as any future accumulation of VIPorter Points. You are responsible for periodically visiting this site to view any changes.
- Porter may, in its sole discretion, restrict, suspend, amend, extend or otherwise alter VIPorter or certain aspects of VIPorter, with or without notice.
- Where notice is given pursuant to any section of the Program Rules or where Porter otherwise elects to give notice, it may be via email notification and/or a notice posted on the Porter website (at www.flyporter.com). Notwithstanding the foregoing, publication of revised or updated Program Rules on the website shall be deemed notice of such terms and conditions.
- All decisions regarding the interpretation of the Program Rules and the administration of VIPorter, and any disputes arising there from, shall be resolved by Porter in its sole discretion, and VIPorter members agree to be bound by such determinations.
8. Limitation of Liability
- Porter assumes no liability to VIPorter members whatsoever in connection with their membership or participation in the VIPorter program, including without limitation, liability by reason of the termination of or amendment to VIPorter in whole or in part, limitations on the use of VIPorter Points or any change to reward levels. VIPorter members agree that Porter and any of its affiliates, subsidiaries or representatives are not responsible for, and you release all of them from any and all liability arising as a result of any accident, loss, injury or damage caused by Porter’s administration of VIPorter, including any rewards supplied or requested in connection with VIPorter.
- Porter is not liable for the product or delivery of service of any partner.
- In no event shall Porter’s liability to VIPorter members with respect to VIPorter, including liability for negligence or breach of contract, be greater than the VIPorter Points accumulated to the member’s account at the time the dispute arose, subject to the Program Rules and Porter’s rights under the Program Rules, as they may be amended from time to time.
- Any waiver by Porter of the strict observance, performance or compliance of the Program Rules and any extension of time or other indulgence granted by Porter, either expressly or by course of conduct, shall not alter, affect or prejudice any of Porter's rights or remedies and shall be effective only in the specific instance and for the purpose for which it was given and shall be deemed not to be a waiver of any of Porter's rights and remedies arising in respect of any other breach of the Program Rules. No delay or omission by Porter in exercising any right or remedy hereunder shall operate as a waiver of that or any other right or remedy.
10. Governing Law
- VIPorter shall be governed by the laws of the province of Ontario and the laws of Canada applicable therein. Any disputes regarding VIPorter or in any way arising out of membership in VIPorter shall be submitted to the courts of Ontario whose courts shall have jurisdiction to hear such disputes, or the Canadian Transportation Agency who can resolve disputes related to carrier-operated loyalty programs.
- VIPorter Points and special offers are subject to applicable government regulations and are void where prohibited by law.
11. Acceptance of Program Rules
- The accumulation of VIPorter Points does not entitle VIPorter members to any vested rights and, in accumulating VIPorter Points, VIPorter members may not rely upon the continued availability of any award, reward, award/reward level, premium, privilege or other benefit.
Press tab on the keyboard to jump to the first error.