Identification Requirements

Show all Hide all

Travel within Canada

To board a flight within Canada, all passengers who appear to be 18 years of age and older are required to present one piece of valid government-issued identification that includes a photograph and the passenger's name, date of birth, and gender, or two pieces of valid government-issued identification showing the passenger's name, date of birth, and gender, without photographs.

Porter requests that passengers under 18 years of age travelling within Canada present one piece of valid identification (government-issued with or without photograph preferred), however this is NOT mandatory for travel.

For Unaccompanied Minors and Infants under 2 years of age, Porter requires government issued ID with a Date of Birth to meet various security and governmental regulations.

IMPORTANT: The name on the identification must match the name on the boarding pass.

Travel to/from international destinations

All passengers travelling to and from international destinations via the United States are required to present a valid passport. Failure to do so will result in boarding being denied for international flights. Citizens of countries other than Canada and the United States should contact their consulate or embassy for boarding requirements. Proof of onward or return travel may be required at check-in.

Secure Flight is a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) program that enhances the security of international air travel. Porter is required to submit passengers' name as it appears on passport, gender, date of birth and redress number (as applicable) to TSA 72 hours prior to passenger travel. For more info, visit our Secure Flight information page.

New! Travel to Canada – eTA requirement for foreign nationals

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a Government of Canada entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to or transiting through Canada by air.

Visa-exempt foreign nationals are encouraged to apply for an eTA using the eTA online application form. Proof of eTA registration will be required at check-in and those that do not have prior approval before departure will be denied boarding.

eTA does not apply to Canadian citizens or permanent residents, U.S. citizens or travellers with a valid visa.

For more information on the eTA program, visit the Government of Canada’s Electronic Travel Authorization website.

U.S. Visa Waiver Program

Citizens from countries participating in the US Visa Waiver Program who wish to travel by air to the United States must obtain prior approval through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). ESTA is used by the U.S. government to screen eligible residents of Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries before they board a plane to the U.S to determine whether or not they pose a law enforcement or security risk. VWP passengers are encouraged to apply for an ESTA when beginning to plan travel to the United States, using the convenient ESTA online form. Passengers will be required to present proof of ESTA registration at time of check in and those who have not obtained prior approval via ESTA before departure will be denied boarding.

Travel with a Minor

All passengers, including children and infants, are required to be in possession of a valid passport for entry into Canada and for the international destination. Failure to do so will result in boarding being denied for trans-border flights.

All adults travelling alone with minor children are strongly recommended to have a letter of consent authorizing them to take the children on a trip out of the country. The letter should include addresses and telephone numbers where the parents or legal guardian can be reached and will confirm that the children are not being abducted or taken against their will.

Divorced/separated parents who share custody of their children should carry copies of the legal custody documents. Failure to do so could result in boarding being denied by immigration services.

Airlines Partners

Please verify the ID requirements of our Airline Partners prior to travel.

For detailed information please visit: (for flights into Canada)
For detailed information please visit: (for flights into the United States)
For detailed information please visit (for international flights)